Pieces Currently on Exhibit:
1) Tyger, Tyger has just been accepted for the New Quilts of Northern California exhibition at the Pacific International Quilt Festival. This large classical quilt show, set in the Convention Center hall in Santa Clara —- 5001 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA 95054 —- will be open:
Thursday, October 17 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Friday, October 18 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Saturday, October 19 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Sunday, October 20 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
2) The Body Electric was in Ottawa, Canada, at the EY Centre, from June 12th to the 15th, hanging in the SAQA show “Metamorphosis”. Next it will be at AQS Quiltweek Grand Rapids MI: August 21 - 24, 2019; AQS Quiltweek Fall Paducah KY: September 11 - 14, 2019; and at AQS Quiltweek Charleston SC: September 25 - 27, 2019.
3) I created 5 new pieces for the “Momentary and Timeless” exhibition at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles. The 3 that were hung are Still Pond – Frog Jumps in, Lost in Tall Bamboo and Tyger Tyger. The show was on display in the Porcella Gallery from APRIL 20 - JUNE 2, 2019.
4) Rising Tides was juried into a SAQA exhibition called “Shifting Tides - Convergence in Cloth”. It was exhibited in the Works Gallery, San Jose and will travel elsewhere.
5) Incurvate and Excurvate was juried into an exhibition, “Connections”, at Visions Visions Art Museum: Contemporary Quilts + Textiles, in San Diego. October 20, 2018 – January 6, 2019. It was sold from that Gallery.
6) Sinfonia Plus was juried into and exhibited at the Q=A=Q 2018 exhibition at the Schweinfurth Gallery in Auburn, NY this year.
7) Bravo! Brava!; Limelight; and Compartments 2 were juried into a theater-themed show called “Fiber Theatrix!” in the Harrington Gallery at the Firehouse Arts Center, 4444 Railroad Avenue Pleasanton, CA 94566 925-931-4849 this year.
8) Food for Thought (an Ode to Joy) has been juried into the SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) Global Exhibition Season after Season. Its first venue is the Texas Quilt Museum, La Grange, Texas (January 2019) and it will travel until January 2022. It features my husband, a professor.
9) The Body Electric, a piece including my own knee x-rays, arrayed in columns, from my Agglomerations series, was juried into another international SAQA show called Metamorphosis. It will start at the prestigious International Quilt Festival shows in Houston (November 8-11, 2018) and in Chicago (March 28-30, 2019), then travel until December 31, 2021.
10) “Lions and Tigers and Bridges, Oh My!” A solo show of my art quilt work was up at Bay Quilts shop and gallery during March 2018. Many pieces sold.
11) “Local Color” was a juried show that had a work of mine, plus many art quilts from the Bay Area and from another SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) region in Connecticut. It was exhibited both in Connecticut and in California, where it appeared at The Gallery at 48 Natoma in Folsom, CA. My piece was Fault Lines, 2013.
Selected Recent Exhibitions:
1) Several of my pieces were in a Climate Change show called “Cold Feet” at Bay Quilts, a new fabric store at 5327 Jacuzzi Street, 3C, Richmond, CA. This exhibit included Running Through, Flowing II and my very large ocean piece called A Song of Ascent, on a gallery wall for the first time.
2) The Professor in His Study is my piece about my husband, the Professor. It was be in "Art Quilts XXI: In Stitches- Seriously Humorous Quilts" at the Chandler Center for the Arts Gallery, 10 East Chicago Street, Chandler, AZ, from November 18, 2016 – January 7, 2017.
3) Toccata & Fugue and Chromatic Shuttling were be in the "Lines Into Shapes" exhibit in the Art Center of Estes Park in Estes Park, Colorado in 2016 and Pomegranates was in the 2017 "Lines into Shapes".
4) Gift to the City, an image of the San Francisco Bay Bridge lights by Leo Villereal, was juried into the "Inspirations II" show. It was shown at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles in 2016. Then the "Inspirations II" exhibit will move to the Olive Hyde Gallery in Fremont from October 7 to November 19, 2016.
5) Ad Infinitum was juried into the Stories of Migration show at the Textile Museum in Washington D.C. (at George Washington University's new gallery). Dates: April 15 - September 4, 2016. It will appear in the new Portfolio 23 due out soon, available from the Store at SAQA.com.
6) Defragging appeared at the Texas Quilt Museum from June 30- September 25th in a SAQA sponsored show called "On the Fringe" celebrating cutting edge work by West Coast artists. See www.texasquiltmuseum.org/exhibits-at-txqm
7) The Body Electric appeared in AQM 2016 (Artist as Quilt Maker) at FAVA (Firelands Association for the Visual Arts), Oberlin, OH in a show running from May through July, 2016.
8) Darkness Visible was shown in the Fantastic Fibers 2016 exhibition at the Yeiser Art Center in Paducah, KY, in 2016. The sponsors are the American Quilter's Society, whose internationally known QuiltWeek (April 20 - 23) in Paducah occurs during the exhibition run. https://www.craftcouncil.org/event/call-entry-fantastic-fibers-2016#sthash.ieThX6va.dpuf
9) Composing Colors appeared in ArtQuilt Elements 2016 at the Wayne Art Center, 413 Maplewood Ave., Wayne PA 19087. Dates: March 18 - April 30, 2016.
10) Darkness Visible was in the Quilts=Art=Quilts 2015 exhibit at the Schweinfurth Art Center, 205 Genessee Street, Auburn, N.Y. Dates: October 30, 2015 - January 3, 2016.
11) Fog was in the "Strata" exhibit at the Firehouse Art Center, Harrington Gallery, 4444 Railroad Ave., Pleasanton, CA. Nov. 12- December 16, 2015. This show was organized d by the Northern California/ Nevada SAQA (Studio Art Quilters) professional organization. It is sold.
12) Running Through was in 2015's "Art Quilts XX: Journeys and Life Cycles" at the Chandler Center for the Arts, Chandler AZ.
13) Nineteen pieces of my body of work were in a solo show at the Chamber of Commerce, 650 Douglas Avenue, Roseville, CA until October 13, 2015.
14) All but one of my Agglomerations series was in a semi-solo show Of Line and Color at The Dairy Center for The Arts in Boulder, Colorado, May-June 2015.
15) He Always Wondered, a piece about my father’s teaching radar during WWII, was made for a show called "World War II Homefront Quilts 2014", organized to celebrate the newest National Park, the Rosie the Riveter WW II Home Front Historical Park. It was exhibited at the Richmond Museum of History, toured for a year and has been published in the exhibition book.
Selected book publications:
He Always Wondered has been published in the exhibition book, for a show called "World War II Homefront Quilts 2014".
Ad Infinitum will be published in the next SAQA collection, Portfolio 23 , out in the Fall of 2016. Portfolios contain recent works of the Professional (Juried) Artist Members of the Studio Art Quilters Association (SAQA). They are used to market the art.
Oh! Rock-a My Soul! is published in a LARK book called 500 Traditional Quilts, 2014. It featured in LARK's associated exhibit at the Houston International Quilt Festival, 2014 and toured for two more years.
Benthos appears in the SAQA collection Portfolio 22, 2015; Composing Colors, in Portfolio 21, 2014 and Ignition has been published in the SAQA book Portfolio 20, 2013.
Selected Juried Shows and Galleries, 2014:
In November, 2014 three of the Agglomerations series were in a semi-solo show at The World of Threads Festival in Oakville, Ontario.
Evolution (Acrobatics) was in an exhibit called Evolutions 2014 Venue: the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum, Golden, CO.
The Bay Bridge Lights themed pair Fog and Gift to the City were accepted for an anniversary Quilt Surface Design Symposium (QSDS) show,"Quilted Surface VII" from May 18th – July 3, 2014. Ross Museum, 60 S. Sandusky Street, Delaware OH. Seewww.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eight of my pieces were featured in the 48th Annual Textiles Exhibit at the Olive Hyde Art Gallery, 123 Washington Blvd., Fremont, CA. from March 28th to April 26, 2014. My work occupied an entire room, and was lighted and hung beautifully!
At Rest was in the exhibit "Butterflies and their beautiful kin" at Texas Quilt Museum, La Grange, TX. This exhibit is still on tour, currently in the New England Quilt Museum, Lowell Massachusetts.
Shalhevet and Slant Rhymes I (grace and chaste) appeared in the “Liturgical & Sacred Art” exhibit at the Springfield Art Association, Springfield Illinois in May 2014.
Mountain Blossoms Pursue the Rising Sun was at the Houston International Quilt Festival and toured in the exhibit "In Full Bloom 2013".
Selected Juried Shows and Galleries, 2012 & 2013:
Accelerating - Decelerating was accepted for a national, touring SAQA exhibit "Color Wheel of Emotions".
Art Quilts Lowell, Music - Brush Gallery, Lowell, Massachusetts ("Quarter Notes" and "Strip Variations")
Slice, a Cross-section of Regional Art - Pence Gallery, Davis California ( "Oh! Rock-a My Soul!")
Ignition was at the New Quilts of Northern California exhibit - Pacific International Quilt Festival 2013
Extrapolating & Composing Colors were in the prestigious QAQ (Quilts - Art - Quilts) show @ the Schweinfurth Art Center in Auburn, NY.
Flowing 2 & Reflections: Glass and Teak Railing, Shipboard were at the "Reflections" show (SDMAAG organized it) in Gallery 21, at Spanish Village, San Diego.
Flowing I, Flywheel Rondo I, and Originating were all in a show called"Point of View" at theVanderoth Gallery, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Color Wheel of Emotions – SAQA – various venues (quilt is “Accelerating- Decelerating”)
I'm Not Crazy, a SAQA exhibit - various venues (quilt is "Running Through")
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow - SAQA exhibit at European Patchwork show (quilt is "Shalhevet")
New Quilts of Northern California exhibit - Pacific International Quilt Festival (quilt is "Second Balcony")
Juried and Gallery Shows 2011: ArtQuiltsmovement- PAQA - South ("Dynamism") ;
Q=A=Q at the Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, New York ("Magnetic North")
The ArT-QuILT EXPERIENCE - Stone Quarry Hill Park, Cazenovia, NY ("Taking Flight/ Birds on a Fence")
Size Matters - Some Things Looming Gallery, Reading PA(quilt is "Reflections-Glass and Teak Railing, shipboard")
Juried Shows 2009: AQS show - Paducah, Kentucky ("Oh! Rock-a My Soul!")
Education: AB Harvard University Extension, 1971 (including work at University of Toronto Extension, Brandeis University, Radcliffe College, UC Berkeley) ; M Arch, University of California, Berkeley, 1982. Career: Practicing in Architecture and urban design firms for approximately 25 years, in San Francisco, Chicago, Oakland and Berkeley.